Renters Insurance in Iowa

When you rent an apartment in Iowa, your landlord's insurance policy doesn't cover your belongings. You need to get your own insurance policy if disaster strikes, and you lose your possessions. At Brown-Hurst Insurance Agency Inc. in Union, Marshalltown, and Eldora, IA, we can help you learn more about renters’ insurance, what it covers, and the benefits of insuring your belongings. Here's a look at how renters insurance works in Iowa:

Is Renters Insurance Mandatory in Iowa?

No, no law says renters must have insurance if they rent an apartment in Iowa. However, landlords are free to require their tenants to carry a renters insurance policy as part of their lease. If this is the case, you'll need to get a policy to cover your belongings against calamity or catastrophe.

Coverage Offered by Renters Insurance

A majority of renters insurance policies provide the following types of coverages as standard:

Personal property

If your personal property is damaged in a fire, flood, or is lost to theft, your policy will cover the losses.

Loss of use

This covers your loss of use of your apartment in the event it's uninhabitable, or repairs make it so you can't live there for a period of time.

Personal liability

Provides financial protection if someone is injured or has their property damaged while they're visiting you.

Medical payments for a covered incident

Pays for the medical expenses that are the result of a covered incident.

Contact us at Brown-Hurst Insurance Agency to Learn More

Renters insurance can cover you for various occurrences and incidents you may not know about. See us at our office in Union, Marshalltown, or Eldora, IA, or give us a call to learn more. We'll review your renter's insurance needs, explain what's covered, and get you a quote for a policy so you can enjoy peace of mind knowing your belongings are insured.